Thursday 12 November 2009

Brisbane balcony views.

Despite having her own business to run, Aradhna devoted tremendous effort & time into finding me a place in Brisbane before I arrived on Tuesday afternoon (insert Moody Blues song here). The top photo was taken after Julie, who manages the 6-story, 4-year-old building with husband Steve, gave me the keys. It's looking north towards the CBD, though Brisbane's skyline on the opposite side of the Brisbane River is mostly blocked by apartment buildings. I'm in a great location, with top Brisbane neighborhoods Southbank & West End within easy walking distance.

I also walked to my new employer's office in Woolloongabba yesterday. Takes about 40 minutes -- an opportunity to walk off 2 years of an indulgent Melbourne cafe lifestyle. Bus and train stations are nearby in case of stormy weather (insert pop standard tune here).

Brisbane is 1700 kms (1100 miles) from Melbourne and every bit as different. Typically Australian in that people drive into the city from distant suburbs to work, but its proximity to the Sunshine Coast (north) and Gold Coast (south) means these commuters may reside on or near some of this planet's most spectacular beaches. This alone would explain Brisbane's more relaxed culture, but its tropical climate can't be overlooked. While Brisbane has a higher average yearly temperature than Melbourne, its summers aren't as brutal. Melbourne bears the brunt of northern winds that blow across a continent's worth of desert. The temperatures and winds that led to February's 'Black Saturday' were unlike anything I've ever experienced: pure, searing, heat. In Brisbane you'll sweat; in Melbourne you'll get pan-fried.

Enough weather. Here's a couple of morning views from my balcony, first looking west:
This is looking southwest, with a corner of my building:

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I miss my darling husband