Friday 27 July 2018

An Auckland commute: Devonport to Newmarket

Almost 6 months since I moved from Melbourne to Auckland yet very little has been documented. Outside of a pair of trips to the States in April and May and a visit to New Zealand's spectacular South Island in March, the bulk of my NZ experience has been in Devonport, where I live, and Newmarket, where I work. The above shot shows the view of a sunrise behind North Head from the bottom of my street as I walk to Devonport's ferry wharf.

Unless it's raining I'll sit outside on the ferry and enjoy views like this of the ferry wharf.

A ferry approaching Devonport's wharf. It's a 10-minute ride across Waitematā Harbour to Auckland's CBD, seen here in the distance.

Ferry prep.

Approaching the ferry terminal in what's called Commercial Harbour.

The ferry terminal is located in Britomart, which gets its name from a Royal Navy gunship that first surveyed Waitematā Harbour in 1841. Depending on the time, weather and my mood, I can either take a 10-minute train ride to Newmarket or partake in a 40-minute walk. If I walk, I'll usually take a route that includes the Auckland Domain, a remarkable reserve that includes the Auckland War Memorial Museum, shown here.

Another walking route goes through Auckland University and allows this view of the Sky Tower ...

... and another section of Auckland Domain.

My Newmarket office is on the 4th floor of the building bathed in early morning sun in this photo.

Newmarket train station.

Along a wooded track in yet another section of Auckland Domain.

On occasion, massive cruise ships are docked at Commercial Harbour. This shot shows one being guided by tugboats out of Waitematā Harbour.

On-board a Devonport ferry looking back at Auckland and the Harbour Bridge.

Sunset at Devonport ferry wharf.

Walking along the foreshore in Devonport at dusk.

My housemates Theo and Jasper in our Devonport doorway.

No comments: